Friday, August 23, 2013

DIY - Making Scratches Disappear

I have not been a do-it-yourself person too much in the past, but Pinterest has definitely given me some fantastic ideas lately. One of those ideas came when my sweet friend, Nikki, pinned THIS idea for getting scratches out of wood surfaces. I had just the table that was crying out for this treatment, and I was excited to see if it worked. 

I told Bob about the idea, and he actually took over the work. I was just the photographer. Haha!

This table belonged to his grandmother and was given to us many years ago. It is very special to us and has made several moves with us over the years. It was in rough shape when we received it, having been well-used and loved by Bob's dear grandparents. We added a little more "use" to it over the past 10 years time and it needed some attention.

This is what the table looked like before the treatment . . .



We mixed 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup white vinegar for the "magic" concoction. 

Then Bob went to work rubbing it into the table top . . .

And here is the finished look. It obviously still has some discolouration and markings on it, but it is SO much improved. We are pretty amazed that this worked and worked so well. 

Right now we have this table in our media room, and I am on the lookout for some cute coasters to keep it better protected from water rings, etc. We just keep looking at it and saying "Wow! I can't believe how much better it looks!" So thank you, dear Nikki and Pinterest for a successful DIY project at the Royce house!

Have you attempted any DIY projects recently? I'd love for you to share them in the comments! 

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment