Monday, January 27, 2014

Weekly Menu Plan {27 January}


Hello, friends! How was your weekend? Ours was a little challenging. We awoke Friday morning to find our pipes frozen. So, as I posted on my social media sites, 'when life throws you frozen pipes, just make snow water.' My hubby called me his 'pioneer woman'. And I do love a good challenge. To a point. Our landlords were amazing and offered to put us up in a hotel (thank you, Jesus, for caring landlords). We declined, however, because we have really become interested in, excited for, engaged with being more resourceful. When I read a story or watch a movie about people who didn't have much but made what they did have into something special and creative and useful and even beautiful, it fuels a fire in me and I want to emulate that person. There are so many stories of people during the Great Depression or wars or famines who made the most of what they had, who looked at their resources in new and different ways and lived life well. 

I didn't mean to get off on a tangent, but I have been thinking a great deal about how spoiled we are in America. We are a people of such excess. And yet, where is the happiness? I could go on and on, but the bottom line is, I didn't really need a hotel room. Our power was still on, so we were warm. Sure, not having running water was a HUGE inconvenience, but we had plenty of snow on the ground. We couldn't shower with it (or wouldn't want to), but we could melt enough to flush the toilets when the need was dire. We could even wash dishes with melted snow. There is a shower at Bob's ministry office, so we all went up there on Saturday to get clean. Then later when we got home, guess what? The temps had been a little warmer all day and by 8pm, the water was flowing again. So, yes, you better believe that we started washing dishes, running the dishwasher and the washing machine! What a relief to have water again.

Have you ever had frozen pipes? What did you do to survive?

I am trying to use what I have in the freezer and pantry again this week, so here is the menu plan:

Monday - We made a snack-y supper because Emma and I attended the funeral of our dear friends' husband and father this afternoon. Please pray for our precious friends, the Bittners.

Tuesday - Thai Chicken Salad (didn't make this Friday night, due to our pipes situation)

Wednesday - Leftovers

Thursday - Fish tacos, chips, guac

Friday - Pakistani Pot Roast Beef Fillets, salad, naan

Saturday - Chicken Spaghetti, salad, garlic toast

Sunday - Snack-y supper

Blessings and love. xo

I'm linking up with Menu Plan Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment