Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Productive Saturday

Some Saturdays are just relaxed and have no agenda, but today I was able to get more cooking and baking accomplished. Blueberry jam, chocolate-zucchini muffins, and lentil soup were in the production line for today.

The jam is *setting* and will go in the freezer tomorrow.

It was very tempting to have that yummy chocolate muffin smell wafting through the house, but every last one of those muffins made it into the freezer.

Tonight for supper I made lentil soup and chapati and half of the soup went into the freezer, as well.

I am feeling better about having some things ready to feed my family while I am off my feet for a few days in August.

Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins (which, I think, originally came from Ivy)

Mix well:
3 eggs
1 c. oil
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Add 2 c. shredded zucchini.

Combine and add to zucchini mixture:
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Pour into greased pans and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour (for loaf bread) or 18-20 minutes (for muffins).

Curried Lentil Soup

2 cans lentils
1 can chickpeas, mash at least half
1 can chopped tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
1 T. butter
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients in large pot and simmer for one hour.

Sprinkle with fresh cilantro when serving, if desired.

Serve with chapati or naan.


And, thankfully, I wasn't in the kitchen all day. I also took the older children to an early-afternoon movie, which was a nice break and a fun time with them.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment