Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fresh Produce

We just joined a local CSA and received our first order this week. Oh my! I am so happy to support our local farmers and thrilled to have such beautiful veggies and fruit to give to my family. We have planted a few vegetables plus watermelon and cantaloupe in our garden, but we won't be able to harvest anything until later in the summer.

In the meantime, we are enjoying these delicious goodies...




Here are some links for eating local, etc.


Now I just need to find a good recipe for beets! I loved my grandma's pickled beets. Maybe I could do something something similar. Any suggestions? Please comment.
Many summer blessings!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Scarlett

    I've baked beets and put them on salad (warm) with cheese and it tastes really good! It do that pretty often..lemme know know if you want to peek at some recipes for those

    Have you ever had borscht soup? It's a Ukranian soup that David really likes that I've made before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    Yes, I'd love to see your recipes! I found a couple of ideas on-line, but it would be nice to see what you have. And I had borscht when I was in Russia. It was good. I was just thinking of something cooler than soup since it's been SO hot this week!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://goodthingscatered.blogspot.com/2010/03/roasted-beet-salad-with-goat-cheese-and.html

    http://goodthingscatered.blogspot.com/2009/06/golden-beet-and-marinated-goat-cheese.html

    http://www.thespicespoon.com/blog/borani2/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no suggestions on beets (I used to give them to a neighbor LOL). That is a great looking basket of veggies. I miss being in one of those co-ops. I'm going to go look one up now! Thanks!

    Blessings
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie, LOL about the beets! I am getting a great education with these fruit and veggie deliveries! I now know what a gooseberry is and I have made a recipe with fennel. Maybe I'll post it soon. Definitely broadening my horizons! :)

    ReplyDelete