Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fresh Bread from Heaven, part 1


I am trying to get my jumbled, overwhelmed thoughts out through my fingers and onto this screen. I actually thought about writing them all in a journal, but I think that would take twice as long and there is urgency. I also want to share this story and not just keep it for myself. The Father is showing me so much right now. He’s speaking and working in my family in incredible ways. I want to share it all, but I honestly do not know if I have the words for it all.

I have just read a beautiful book called Compelled By Love by Heidi Baker. We are now reading (and sometimes sobbing) through it as a family. Heidi and her family were called by God in 1995 to Mozambique to sit among the poor and learn from them. In this book Heidi goes through the Beatitudes from Matthew chapter 5. She tells story after story of God’s heart for the poor and outcast and how He has shown her that she must be in His presence in order to meet the needs He has called her to meet.

Here are some powerful snippets from Chapter 4:

• The poor always want something to eat; they are always hungry. The physical desperation among the poor often translates into spiritual hunger. Like the poor, God is calling us to hunger and thirst after Him with the same desperation.

• The poor taught me how to hunger for God and to take spiritual communion. He invites us to eat and to drink of Jesus so that we become full. Just as we depend on food for our physical nourishment, we also need to depend on Jesus for the spiritual nourishment of our lives. We must feed on Him daily. Only then will we have the fresh bread from heaven that we need to give to both the spiritually and naturally hungry.

• Out of the abundance of our own feasting at His table, we will have fresh manna from heaven to give to the poor every day.

• The poor have taught me about hunger and thirst and my own need. In order to function and to make it through one day, I have to spend hours every day alone with my Jesus. I must have His presence or I know I cannot survive. I am often on my face in His presence. So I stay hidden in His heart, soaking in the secret place. If you will look into the eyes of Jesus and eat and fill that hungry place with Him every day, then His passion is alive and burning in your soul.


Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” …Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.” John 6:32-33, 35

Continued in next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment