Thursday, September 13, 2012

Book Review - Unmask the Predators




Lisa Cherry and her daughter, Kalyn Cherry Waller share share their horrifying story in Unmask the Predators. I recently read this book for a review for Destiny Image. I will admit that at first, I did not want to read it. I knew that it would be agonizing to read. I tend to feel what characters in the story feel and go through. But Lisa gives a great reason for reading this story. As believers, we need to be aware of the enemy's antics. 2 Corinthians 2:11 states, “We don’t want to unwittingly give Satan an opening for yet more mischief—we’re not oblivious to his sly ways!” (Msg).

Kalyn was the victim of a predator. The man was a trusted friend, fellow church member and even a part of their worship team. Kalyn's mom Lisa tells that as the devoted wife of a pastor and loving mom, she never would have thought this could happen to one of her children. I admit to having had that same thought. I found myself engrossed in the book, wanting to know how they fought this battle for their child and knowing that I had much to learn from their experience. I had been struggling in some areas of my parenting, and the chapter Lisa writes on The Parent's Place of Authority was just the reminder and kick in the pants that I needed. I am thankful that they were willing to share their agony so that I could be reminded and encouraged to step back up to the plate. I am the mom. It is my responsibility to keep better tabs, ask questions, check email accounts, text messages, etc. 

Here is an excerpt from Chapter 9 Fighting to Win that hit home with me...


Step 11: Stay in Your Place of AUTHORITY

Parents should never be tricked into either laying down this responsibility and benefit or giving it away to another: you have been given authority over your own children.
Remember the Greek term exousia that we learned about in an earlier chapter? We saw that God gave Jesus authority (exousia) over the forces of darkness and that He has given that authority to us as His followers. We can now apply that word to the sacred charge we have as the parents of our children. Our children were not given by God to the United States government to train. Our children were not given to the church or to the school systems to raise. While we may choose to use schools and coaches and pastors and Sunday school workers to assist us in our job, the ultimate responsibility for their lives remains with us, the parents.

When attacks come against your home, take a stand by faith and pray like this:

No devil, you’ll not have my children, or torment my children, or drag my children down a path of destruction. I have been given authority over them; and as long as they are in my household, I have authority over your plans against their lives. “As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord” (Josh. 24:15)!

God has told me in His Word that I have been given authority to tread upon snakes and scorpions and over all the power of the enemy. (Lk. 10:19.) He also said that whatever I loose (allow) on earth will be loosed (allowed) in heaven, and whatever I bind (disallow) on earth will be bound (disallowed) in heaven. (Matt. 18:18.) So devil, I’ll let you know right now that I disallow rebellion over my household, for it is likened to the sin of witchcraft. (1 Sam. 15:23 nkjv.) I disallow pride and bitterness. I disallow sexual predators from coming near my children. I disallow acts of sinful rebellion such as alcohol, drugs, premarital sex, and violence. I disallow tormentors such as nightmares, depression, oppression, anxiety, and stress.

Regarding me and my household, I say no to the curse as written in Deuteronomy 28; but I say yes to You, God, and to Your Word. I say yes to submission to authority in my life and my children’s lives. I say yes to obedience, and because of that I say yes to all the blessings of Deuteronomy 28. I say my kids are blessed. They are protected. They are fulfilling their God-given callings and destinies. They honor their mother and father and it goes well with them all the days of their lives. (Eph. 6:2–3.) I pray these things in Jesus’ name. Amen.

As parents, we can say no! Our prayers and our authority have power in the spirit realm. 

Powerful, eh? These are Scriptures that we are already meditating on and speaking over our family, so this was a huge confirmation to keep fighting the fight!
I am thankful for this book. Thankful that the Holy Spirit prompted me to read it even when I hesitated due to the difficult subject matter. Thankful for the way the Father used it to encourage and refresh some areas where I was weak or had become slack. It has not caused me to become paranoid in relationships but has heightened my desire to become more and more in tune with and sensitive to the Spirit in keeping my children safe, as well as in all areas of my life.

I most definitely recommend this book to parents, grandparents, teachers and youth workers.

Here's where you can find it:  Destiny Image or Amazon.com


Disclaimer: Thank you to Destiny Image for sending me a free ebook copy of Unmask the Predator for review. No other compensation was received. All opinions on this blog are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment