Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Setting my love upon Him



(This is a Lego heart made for me last year for Mother's Day. :) )



Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore will I deliver him; I will set him on high, because he knows and understands My name [has a personal knowledge of My mercy, love, and kindness—trusts and relies on Me, knowing I will never forsake him, no, never].
 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life will I satisfy him and show him My salvation. 
Psalm 91:14-16 AMP

I enjoy comparing several different versions...

Because he loves me, I will rescue him; 
because he knows my name, I will protect him.
He will call on me, and I will answer him.
I will be with him when he is in trouble.
I will extricate him and bring him honor.
I will satisfy him with long life
and show him my salvation.
Psalm 91:14-16 CJB


If you’ll hold on to me for dear life,” says God,
    “I’ll get you out of any trouble.
I’ll give you the best of care
    if you’ll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I’ll answer, be at your side in bad times;
    I’ll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I’ll give you a long life,
    give you a long drink of salvation!
Psalm 91:14-16 MSG


The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
    I will protect those who trust in my name
When they call on me, I will answer;
I will be with them in trouble.
I will reward them with a long life
    and give them my salvation.
Psalm 91:14-16 NLT


Those who love me, I will deliver;
    I will protect those who know my name.
When they call to me, I will answer them;
    I will be with them in trouble,
    I will rescue them and honor them.
With long life I will satisfy them,
    and show them my salvation.
Psalm 91:14-16 NRSV


I have been meditating on Psalm 91 for months now. I love these verses and the visual of "setting my love upon Him". The Hebrew for the phrase in verse 15 means to be attached to, long for, desire, set his affection, set his love. What does that look like exactly?

Sometimes I envision the Father on the throne and I am presenting to Him a beautiful, perfectly wrapped package. Other times I am at His feet, desperate for Him, barely able to stretch my arms up to Him, weighed down with life but still desiring to show Him how much I adore Him. And then there are times when I am just quietly sitting before Him singing a song of praise, over and over. There are so many ways I can "set my love upon Him". And I want to do so over and over again. I want to continue learning what this means. I am asking Him to show me more.

What does that look like to you? Or if you've never thought of "setting your love upon Him", what does the first commandment [Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. Matthew 22:37-38] look like for you?

It's something I am pondering. 

In the meantime, this is a perfect love song...



And another...

(There is a newer version of this one on Christy's Into the Glorious album, but strangely, I couldn't find it on YouTube.)

No comments:

Post a Comment