Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Math Rider {Review}

 photo mathriderlogo_zps7d664106.jpg


Anyone who knows me at all knows that math is my weakest subject and how much I pray that my children do not take after me in the mathematics department. So when I was given the opportunity to review Math Rider, I did not hesitate for a second. Math Rider is a fun, original computer game that helps students master the facts for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

I received a year-long download subscription for up to 8 players. I have had Ben, Ava and Maya, who are in grades 5, 2 and 1, playing this game. The program is intended for children in grades 2-6. The cost is $47.00, which includes free updates for life.

The game came into existence out of sheer necessity. The creator, Thomas Brand, was frustrated with how his own children were doing in their math classes in school. Out of his frustration, he took matters into his own hands and came up with this creative, colourful, intelligent game. Knowing our math facts is the key to having a good foundation from which to build on and this game is a perfect way to build that solid foundation.

My children, like most kids, enjoy all kinds of computer games and programs, however, they are fairly picky about the ones that they want to play over and over. They have certainly experienced some which they discarded as "silly" or "cheesy" or just "plain boring". This game fits none of those terms. It is a favourite now at our house. It is fast-paced, the graphics are enjoyable, the quests are exciting and it involves a healthy amount of challenge. I've already referred to it as "intelligent", which I appreciate so much, especially since there is so much "dumbing down" in our culture. I cannot say enough about how well written and thought out it is. It is also impressive how it adapts to each child's pace and level. When a program is aesthetically appealing, challenging to the children, educational and fun, it is a winner in my book!

We used (and still use) this program four or five days per week. It is easy for the children to log on for themselves and take off on their quests. It is also very simple for me to check their progress. Here is an example of Ava's Addition Statistics:



Here is an example from the story for Ava's quest:



Math Rider downloads to your computer and runs on Windows and Mac OSX. Find out about system requirements here. They offer a free full feature 7 day trial. 

 photo mathrider-product-box-v5-200x209_zpsf141caec.jpg


I highly recommend Math Rider for any family who wants to give their child a solid foundation in arithmetic! Check them out today! You can also connect with Math Rider on Facebook and Twitter!

To read other reviews of this innovative math program, click the banner below:


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment